Poha is a famous and most common breakfast eaten all over in India. Here is another variant of poha and that is Red Rice Poha. It is healthier, tastier, and organic This recipe of poha is cooked with subtle tempering of herbs and spices.
Chopped potatoes and onions are indispensable to the overall taste. A hint of lime and garnishing of chopped coriander leaves helps bring the Red Rice Poha together.
What is a Red Flattened Rice?
Red Poha/Flattened Rice/Rice Flakes/Poha is one of the most versatile grains available. The first step in the making of red rice poha is cleaning the paddy and then assorting it to eliminate impurities.
Next, it’s soaked in hot water for 45 minutes. After it dries, it is then roasted to make flakes. The flakes are then moved through sieves to separate unwanted elements and to gather flakes of fairly even size.
And finally, they are packed!
Benefits of Red Rice Poha
- Fiber-rich carbohydrates help control diabetes.
- If you are planning on cutting down on food grains like wheat and barley, you can opt for poha since it is gluten-free.
- It’s rich in manganese, magnesium, calcium, and selenium; Red rice helps to develop strong bones, decreasing the risk of bones weakening and fractures.
- The glycemic index is low and it is good news for those with obesity, and even a heart condition.
Other varieties of poha you should try are Poha Chivda, Maharashtrian Kanda Poha, and Bread Poha
How to make Red Rice Poha
Red Rice Poha Recipe
- 1½ Cup Red Rice Flakes
- 1 Potato small boiled & chopped
- 1 Onion small finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 Tbsp Peanuts
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp Red chili powder
- 4-5 Green Chili Crushed
- 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp coriander Finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Firstly we begin by washing poha twice.
- Let it soak in water for 5-7 minutes.
- After almost 8 minutes strain the poha and set it aside.
- Heat a kadhai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot, roast a batch of peanuts and take them out.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, asafetida, chopped green chillies, curry leaves, and onions.
- After a few seconds, sprinkle salt to taste and mix.
- Once onions turn soft, add boiled potato cubes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and mix well.
- Now add strained poha and sprinkle salt accordingly. Bring all the ingredients together.
- Cook on low or low-medium flame throughout.
- Pour lemon juice, and chopped coriander.
- The red rice poha is ready, switch off the flame and at the very end add roasted peanuts.
It is so important to consume a healthy breakfast and red rice poha is one such breakfast recipe that is easy to make and yet extremely healthy compared to white rice poha.
Do try this recipe and let me know your experience in the comments below.
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.