Coconut Rice also known as Thengai Sadam and Kobbari Annam is an easy, flavourful rice recipe from down South. Thengai Sadam or Coconut Rice is a hit in South India and it is so for all the right reasons.
For the starters, it can be made with leftover rice and transforming it into something so flavourful. Secondly, the tempering that is prepared is so varied and rich, and plays a role in making the dish so famous and loved across the country. It simply is perfection served on a plate!
Coconut Rice Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 2 Cup Cooked Rice
- 3/4 Cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp Split Black gram
- 1/2 Tbsp Split Bengal gram
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Tbsp Peanuts
- 8-10 Slit Cashew Few Curry Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Coriander
- 1 Dry Red Chili & 2 Slit Green Chili
- Salt to taste
- Heat a pan and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot add butter.
- After the butter melts add mustard seeds after it splutters add cumin seeds, asafetida, chana dal, and urad dal. Mix and roast well for a minute.
- Next, add peanuts, roast it for a minute again.
- Now add cashews and roast it until it has a nice golden hue.
- Add sliced green chilies, curry leaves, and grated coconut. Sauté it for a minute and a half.
- Now pour in the rice, salt to taste, and mix all these ingredients well.
- Cover the pan with a lid, lower the flame and let it cook for a minute.
- After a minute remove the lid and toss it around.
- Just before taking it off the flame add some coriander leaves and squeeze half a lemon.
Serve the tasty mouthwatering coconut rice immediately. I am sure you and your family will definitely enjoy this sound Indian dish. Share your experience of cooking this dish in the comments.
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.