We all become a tad too lazy to buy the groceries at the right time. Don’t we? You do realize the mistake when you are “rumbly in your tumbly”. But don’t you worry because I have your back (or shall I say tummy) covered. Even if you are left with nothing but potatoes and onions, I have a lip smacking recipe just for you. Ready in no time, this sabji can be eaten with paranthas & chapattis. Potatoes and onions provide a great texture and made with just the right ingredients this dish can win hearts! It carries an whiff of northern flavors and twist of western relish. This dish can be served as a side dish with a hearty Dal (Lentils), chapatti and rice.
Let’s have a look at the ingredients first.
Potato Onion Sabzi Video Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 2 Medium Size chopped and boiled Potatoes
- 2 Medium size sliced Onions
- Half Tsp Mustard Seeds
- Half tsp Cumin Seeds
- One Fourth tsp Asafetida
- One Fourth Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Half Tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Finely Sliced Green Chili
- Few Curry Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Two Tbsp Cooking Oil
- Half Tbsp Sugar
- Half Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt to Taste
Having the ingredients sorted, let’s get to the recipe.
- Heat the pan, and pour in the cooking oil.
- Once the oil is hot put the mustard seeds and wait for them to splutter.
- Add Cumin seed, asafetida, curry leaves, chopped green chilies and add the sliced onions and mix it well.
- Add salt to quicken the cooking process, mix it well and cover the pan with a lid.
- Remove the lid occasionally and to make sure onions don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the onions turn golden brown add the spices- turmeric powder & red chili powder.
- Add the boiled and chopped potatoes and add a pinch of salt. Mix well. (What a color!!)
- Cover the lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid. Give it a stir
- Now add sugar and lemon juice. Mix until the sugar and lemon juice have dissolved in the mixture. Cook for about half a minute so that the sugar dissolves.
- Finally garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and mix gently.
- Turn off the flame; transfer the beautiful aloo Pyaaz ki sabji into a bowl. (Admire it for a minute)
- Serve hot and munch on!
If you enjoyed this recipe, then please comment below and share your views. Do try the dish and let me know your experience.