Cold wintery nights, cozy blankets and a smoking hot bowl of UNDHIYU. It’s a fact every household in Gujarat extremely enjoys this seasonal vegetable delight along with muthiya (fried fritters). Though a regional delicacy of Surat, varied version are made all over Gujarat. Traditionally made in earthen pot which is cooked upside down underground in earthen pots, termed “matlu”, which are fired from above (thus the name- Undhu means upside down).
Surti undhiyu is a variant that is served with puri (deep-fried flatbread) at weddings and banquets. Again it is a mixed vegetable casserole, made with red lentils and seasoned with spices, grated coconut, and palm sugar in a mild sauce. Garnished with chopped peanuts and toasted grated coconut, and served with rice
Though the traditional undhiyu recipe takes much time, My instant Undhiyu recipe will be a time saver.
Yummy isn’t it? Let’s get started with the dish.
Surti Undhiyu Video Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 3 Finely chopped Large Tomatoes
- 2 Medium Size chopped Potatoes
- 100gm Surti papadi (Indian Beans)
- 1/2 Cup Papadi dana
- 1/2 Cup Tuver Dana
- 1/4 Cup Green Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp Asfoedita
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp Red chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Undhiyu masala
- 2 Finely Chopped Green chili
- 1/2 Tsp Carom seeds
- 2 Tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt to Taste
- Place Pressure cooker on the flame, once heated add oil.
- Add carom seeds and once it pops add asafetida and mix well. Cook for 15-20 seconds.
- Add chopped green chili, mix well and let it fry.
- Add ginger garlic paste and green garlic cook well for a minute.
- Add the finely diced tomatoes, add a pinch of salt and mix well. Cook on medium flame.
- Once there is oil formation and tomatoes are cooked properly add undhiyu masala, red chili powder, turmeric powder and mix well to infuse the ingredients together. Cook for about a minute until a fragrance lingers.
- Now add sugar and lemon juice, give it a nice mix and add half a glass of water and stir well on full flame.
- Once it starts to boil add papdi ke daane, tuver ke daane, diced potatoes and salt to taste. Let it boil.
- Add surti papdi and mix well. Now lock the lid over pressure cooker and cook until four whistles on full flame.
- Turn off the flame and let the cooker cool.
- Unlock the lid and magic unfolds! Be gentle while stirring the vegetables.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
Serve and munch on!! You can even add muthiya(fenugreek fritters) at this stage to double the yummy factor. I hope you liked today’s instant undhiyu recipe and will surely give it a try. I will love to hear from you do comment below.
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.