Upma is a go-to breakfast option for most of the Indian households. It not only looks dreamy because of the fluffy cloud-like texture but the added flavor with all the amazing vegetables makes it delectable.
Made with Semolina aka Sooji/Rava and loads of vegetables this is a humble and fulfilling dish. Pack it for breakfast or for lunch. Team it with a bowl of sambhar for the extra zing and I am sure you will love it.
I have just the right recipe for you for a wholesome goodness Semolina Vegetable upma which your folks will love. A recipe that will a tough competition to even the restaurants. Exciting, right?
Let’s get started! (Indian Breakfast Recipes) is a healthy South Indian breakfast recipe, typically made with roasted semolina veggies. To make Hotel Style Rava Upma Recipe follow my step by step recipe and you will really enjoy this soft and tasty upma.
How to Make Vegetable Upma
Rava Upma Recipe
- 1 Cup Semolina
- 1 Cup Buttermilk or whisked curd
- 1 Onion Finely chopped Medium size
- 1 Tomato Finely chopped Medium size
- 1/4 Cup Carrot Finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup French beans Finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Asafetida
- Few Curry leaves
- 2 Tbsp Peas Boiled
- 3 Tbsp Coriander Finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Green chili Crushed
- 2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 Tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp Black Gram
- Salt to Taste
- Heat a pan and add semolina. On a medium flame roast the semolina until light golden for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted semolina into a bowl and set it aside.
- On one gas stove place a steel utensil filled with water and let it get warm on low flame.
- Simultaneously heat the pan and add oil.
- Now add mustard seeds and wait for it to pop. On low flame add urad dal, asafetida and mix. Cook for half a minute.
- Add curry leaves and chopped green chilies and mix.
- Add finely chopped onion, carrots, French bean and sprinkle salt to taste. Cover the lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- The water has started to boil in the steel utensil, turn off the flame and cover it.
- Remove the lid from the pan; add boiled peas and tomatoes and cover it again and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the lid from pan, add the roasted semolina and salt to taste.
- Add the 2 cups of boiled water along with buttermilk or whisked curd. On a low flame let it cook for 5-6 minutes.
- After the 6 minutes, remove the lid and you will observe that the extra water has been absorbed and the semolina upma is fluffy and cooked to perfection.
- The last step is to add the green color- that is chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Switch off the flame.
Serve the Semolina Vegetable Upma in a bowl. It’s a healthy option for breakfast and is a must try. Let me know for any queries related to the recipe.
Keep posting your wonderful comments and feedback!
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.