Sindhi Koki is one of the most popular dishes of Sindhi’s. The fabulous taste of this dish comes with minimum ingredients. Made from whole wheat flour, dough blended with onion and spices, this is an authentic flaky flatbread recipe.
Koki bread is also popular because of its texture. Unlike our regular chapatis or parathas, it is a little crunchy, chewy and slightly hard rather than a soft texture. This makes it a unique and interesting recipe for breakfast. It goes well with pickle, curd or any vegetable prepared for the meal.
Sindhi Koki Recipe and Text Recipe Below
Sindhi Koki Recipe
- 2 Cup Wheat flour
- 1 onion Big Finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Gram flour
- 3 Tbsp clarified butter
- 1/2 Tsp carom seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 2-3 green chili Crushed
- 2 Tbsp coriander Finely chopped
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp Red chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Dry Fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- Salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl add wheat flour, gram flour, salt to taste, cumin seeds and carom seeds, dry roasted fenugreek leaves, turmeric powder, red chili powder, dry mango powder, and mix all the dry ingredients and spices well.
- Now pour in ghee and mix again.
- Add chopped onion, finely chopped coriander, green chilies, mix and set it aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add water accordingly and knead a hard dough.
- Moving further, take a handful of dough according to the size you want.
- Place it on chakla and smoothen it out, now place it on a griddle( which is medium-hot on the stove) let it roast a little on both sides.
- Place it on chakla again and with a rolling pin, flatten it out carefully. Stick to medium thickness.
- Apply oil on the griddle and place the koki on it.
- Roast both sides(using oil) well until the koki has brown spots and is light golden in color.
- Once cooked well, take it out on a plate.
- Make more koki similarly.
The flaky and crispy texture is simply amazing and it’s soft when you bite into it. There are a variety of flatbreads to try from all over India & why don’t you begin with Sindhi Masala Roti or koki. Do let me know how you liked this flatbread recipe. I would love to read your feedback.
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.