Spring onions taste great and are also remarkably wholesome for the body. Usually known as scallion or green onion, it is the most favored ingredient in Chinese Cuisine and is loaded with essential nutrients. Be it the green leafy part or the white bulb of the spring onion both are edible. The taste is milder compared to the regular onion and it can be cooked or eaten uncooked as well.
Benefits of Spring Onion –
- It is an excellent source of Sulphur, beneficial for overall health.
- It has compounds like allyl sulfide and flavonoids that prevent cancer and fight the enzymes that make cancer cells.
- Lowers blood sugar levels.
In today’s recipe, I have added potatoes (optional) for more flavors, and it tastes absolutely delectable. It is spicy yet has a mild sweet flavor to it. Enjoy it with your family in winter dinner spreads.
Spring Onion Sabzi Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 500gms Finely Chopped Spring Onion
- 1 Medium Size Finely Chopped Potato
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafetida
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- In a kadhai, heat oil.
- Add mustard seed once the oil is hot.
- Once the mustard seeds splutter add asafetida.
- Add the chopped potatoes. Sauté for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- At this stage add chopped spring onions. Sprinkle salt over it. Mix well.
- On a medium flame, cover the kadhai with a lid and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and mix well. Spring onions have good water content and you will notice the same.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder and mix well.
- Cover it with lid again and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, uncover and stir.
- Let the water boil completely on medium-high flame.
- Stir frequently so the Sabzi doesn’t stick to the base.
- Once the oil starts to separate and water evaporates completely, the Spring Onion sabji is ready.
- Switch off the flame and transfer it into a serving bowl.
Relish it with chapati, paranthas and even makkai ki roti. I am sure everyone in your family will love this dish. Do let me know your experience with the recipe in the comments below.