Tired of the same old greens and lentils for lunch and dinner. I know there must be many of you who don’t like some of the green vegetables. But you know what it isn’t about the vegetable but about the preparation of the recipe that matters.
One such green vegetable that we are going to cook today is ridge gourd! Don’t frown, just try the recipe with me and I guarantee you that this will be your new favorite green veggie. The ridge gourd is first stuffed with the aromatic spice mix and then cooked with the spice mix gravy. It simply tastes amazing.
Let’s get started with the recipe!
Bharwan Turai Sabzi Recipe and Text Recipe Below
Bharwan Turai Sabzi Recipe
- 4 Ridge gourd Medium size - Turai
- 3 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3 Tbsp coriander powder Coarsely crushed
- 1/2 Tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp peanuts roasted & coarsely crushed
- 2 Tbsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1-2 green chili Sliced
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp Dry mango powder
- Salt to taste
- Slice through the ridge gourd without cutting them entirely.
- Let’s prepare the stuffing. In a mixing bowl add Dhaniya powder, jeera powder, red chili powder, crushed peanuts, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, salt to taste, pour oil and mix well.
- Now fill the ridge gourd with a spoonful of spice mix in the center where you sliced it.
- Now cut the stuffed ridge gourd into small pieces measuring about an inch.
- The leftover spice mix will be used at the end, for the gravy. So save it.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds, asafetida, green chilies and cook for half a minute.
- Now add the stuffed ridge gourd pieces into it.
- On low medium flame, place the lid on the pan and cook it for a minute or two.
- Open the lid and add half a cup of water.
- Cover it with lid again and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- After five minutes, stir the ridge gourd and flip sides. Cook again for a few minutes with the lid on.
- Flip it over and turn sides cooking continuously.
- Add leftover spice mix and accordingly add water.
- On medium-high flame cook for a minute by covering it with a lid.
- Remove the lid, the gravy is simmering well and after few seconds turn the flame off.
- Take the ridge gourd sabji in a bowl to serve it
The piping hot stuffed ridge gourd gravy sabji is drool-worthy. If you don’t believe me, well you have to get in the kitchen and try it for yourself. Accompany it with chapati, puri or parantha it will surely win your and your folk’s heart.
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.