Chole Bhature is a match made in heaven, otherwise was it anywhere possible to pair the dark spicy tangy robust Chole with melt in the mouth bhature. Punjabi’s and their love for spices is know all over the world. Out of many dishes, one that is crazily loved by all is Chole. Chickpeas in a pool of semi-thick gravy which is delectable.
Today I have a very simple yet very Punjabi recipe for you to make a drool-worthy bowl of Chole. The use of potato is to make the gravy thick and there are just a few tricks to make you go “Burrraahh” with each bite!
Let’s get started!
Punjabi Chole Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 1 Cup Boiled Chickpeas & 1 Medium sized boiled Potato
- 3 Medium size Onion Puree
- 3 Medium size Tomato Puree
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Tbsp Clarified Butter
- 1/4 Asafetida
- 1 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Paste & 1/2 Tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 ½ Tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tbsp Chole Masala
- 2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Coriander
- Salt to Taste
- In a bowl add chole masala, ginger garlic paste and mix them well.
- Heat a heavy base steel vessel and once it is hot add cooking oil and then ghee.
- To this add asafetida, onion puree, a pinch of salt, and mix all ingredients well. Roast for a minute.
- Add the chole masala and ginger garlic mixture.
- On a medium flame, cook until the oil starts to separate from the mixture. It will take around 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and, stirring continuously until the oils separate from the content. The consistency will be much thicker.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, dry mango powder, coriander powder, mix well with the gravy and cook for 1 minute.
- Now add boiled chickpeas and potatoes. Also, add the leftover water that was used to boil chickpeas and potatoes.
- Add one or more cup of water (accordingly)to make the gravy less thick.
- Add salt to taste.
- On full flame, let it come to a boil. Please ensure during the boil the oil is on top of the surface.
- Finally, add chopped coriander leaves.
- Take them out in a bowl and serve.
Does it look mouthwatering? Picture perfect and trust me you will fall in love with this recipe. Try it out soon and let me know in the comment below of your experience with the dish. Do post your feedback as it keeps me motivated to bring best and healthiest recipes to you!