Mangochi – Moong Dal Kadhi is prepared from Moong dal (yellow lentil). The Kadhi we usually eat is consists of Besan (gram flour). Mangochi or Moong Dal Kadhi is much salubrious and lighter than the Besan Kadhi.
There so many variations of Kadhi each culture has its own twist for the recipe. They taste best accompanied with rice, chapati or parantha! You should also try the simple yet wholesome Gujarati Kadhi.
Moong Dal Kadhi Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- ½ Cup Boiled Green gram
- ½ Cup sour curd
- 1½ tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- ½ tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 2-3 Crushed Green chili
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp Red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Gram flour
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Coriander
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl with curd add gram flour and whisk well into a smooth better and ensure there are no lumps.
- In a steel-vessel add oil, once hot add cumin seeds and roast for 15-20 seconds.
- Add asafetida, garlic & ginger paste, crushed green chilies, on a low flame roast for a minute and a half.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder and boiled Moong Dal. Mix the contents well.
- Sprinkle salt as per taste.
- Next, add the mixture of curd and gram flour and mix all ingredients well.
- On full flame add half a cup of water and stir well. You can keep the consistency of Kadhi as per your liking.
- Let it boil well for 3-4 minutes.
- Keep stirring occasionally to avoid Kadhi sticking to the bottom.
- After 3-4 minutes when the oil starts to appear on top of the kadhi, switch off the flame.
- The Kadhi is good to go!
Serve it in a bowl with some hot chapati or parantha as well as steamed rice, your lunch is sorted! Be sure to try the Gujarati special Moong Dal Kadhi. Everyone will be in for a surprise!
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.