The ultimate favorite dal of Indians no matter wherever you, every restaurant serves dal tadka. Its simplicity yet the striking tempering makes it nothing less but delectable. It tastes amazing with the Tandoori roti or homemade chapati. Here I have the perfect recipe for a Restaurant style dal tadka, your folks won’t be able to tell the difference (and it will be a secret between us)!
Let’s get started already!
Dal Fry Tadka Video Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 1/2 Cup Split Red gram (Toor Dal)
- 1/3 Cup Split Bengal gram (Chana dal)
- 1/4 Cup Finely chopped Coriander
- 1 Finely chopped Large Onion
- 1 Finely chopped Large Tomato
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1 Tbsp Red chili powder
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Finely chopped Green chili
- 3-4 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3-4 chopped Garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp Ghee
- Clove-2 to 3
- Cinnamonn stick
- 2 Dry red chili
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl add toor and chana dal and mix them. Wash them with water 2-3 times. (Soak up to 15 -20 minutes- Optional)
- Ready a pressure cooker on the flame and add the washed dal to it. Add 3 cups of water, half tsp turmeric powder, salt to taste and 1 tbsp of cooking oil and nice stir with a spoon. Once it boils, stir again and put the lid on pressure cooker.
- On a medium flame, let it cook until 5 whistles.
- After the 5 whistles, turn off the flame and let the cooker cool down completely.
- In a Big Pan over Medium Heat add oil add Cumin seeds along with cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Now add chopped onion and sprinkle a pinch of salt to quicken the process. On medium flame let it cook for about 2-3 minutes. Or until onion turns golden.
- To this add green chilies, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and finally dhaniya powder mix well. Cook for half a minute till the raw aroma of Ginger goes away.
- Now add tomatoes, after mixing it well, cover the pan with a lid. On medium flame let it cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, check for dal in the cook, uncover the lid and give it a good stirring.The tomatoes are cooked perfectly too.
- Add the boiled dal to the masala. Wait until dal to boil and add finely chopped coriander, mix well. Cover the pan with a lid for about 1-2 minutes.
- Mix well; you can see that the dal has a perfect consistency. If your dal turns out to e thick, add lukewarm water to it.
- Turn Off the flame. Transfer the content to a serving bowl. If you wish to eat dal fry, you can consume it, but for dal tadka, you might want to move on to next step.
- In a shallow pan, add 2 tbsp ghee. Once the ghee is heated add asafetida and garlic cloves and mix well.
- Give a slight slit in the dry red chilies and add to the tadka.
- Once the garlic turns to a golden hue, turn off the flame.
- Before pouring the tadka into dal, instantly add red chili powder and stir well.
- Finally, add it to the top of dal! (What a fragrance) And it’s ready.
Your Homemade restaurant style Dal Tadka is ready. I am sure it has turned out irresistible, a salad by side with vinegar red onion and chapatis- AN amazing date with food! Do try it in your kitchen. Share your experience. Drop your comments for the feedback!