“KADHI” is solely a yogurt based gravy dish that is solidified with chickpea flour and tempered and later simmered with some fascinating Indian spices. Every region in India has their individual way of preparing Kadhi – you get Punjabi Kadhi, Rajasthani Kadhi, Maharashtrian Kadhi, and Gujarati Kadhi.
Kadhi is a really unique mixture of ingredients and zest – but then like all other Indian dishes – it carries an enormous flavor and more often than not has nutritional advantages as well.
In Gujarati cuisine, Kadhi is dressed with a clever combination of spices, yogurt/sour milk/buttermilk, and chickpea flour. It is one of the best recipes of Gujarati cuisine and the authentic recipe is a combination of flavors, spices and etc.
Let’s get started with this amazing recipe.
Gujarati Kadhi Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 500ml Buttermilk
- 1/2 Tbsp Clarified Butter
- 1 Dry Red Chili
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 Clove, 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1/4 Tsp Ginger paste
- 2 Crushed Green Chili
- 1/4 Tsp Asafetida
- 8 to 10 Curry leaves
- 1.5 Tbsp Gram Flour
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Salt to Taste
- In the bowl with buttermilk add gram flour and whisk well with a hand or electric whisker.
- Transfer the content of the bowl in to a medium size steel vessel.
- Place the vessel on the burner and cook on full flame until it comes to a boil. Stir continuously.
- Lower the flame.
- Add salt to taste, sugar and mix well.
- Let it boil on a low flame.
- Let’s prepare the tempering.
- Place a small pan on the burner and add ghee. Now add dried red chili, cumin seeds, and fenugreek seeds. Roast for 15-20 seconds.
- Now add cloves and cinnamon stick, chopped green chilies, ginger paste and asafetida. Sauté for half a minute.
- Finally add curry leaves and mix everything well.
- Our tempering is ready; now add a cup of Kadhi that we prepared earlier.
- Now switch of the flame and transfer the pan content to the steel vessel and stir well.
- Cook and stir on full flame.
- Lower the flame and let it boil for a minute.
- Switch off the flame; cover it with a lid to let the flavors set in.
- After some time transfer the Kadhi to a serving bowl and get ready to taste it!
Do try and make this authentic Gujarati Kadhi in your kitchen. Let me know how you liked it by commenting in the section below. Keep showering your love to keep me going and motivated.