Khichdi is a wholesome and comforting meal, made with a combination of rice and either green or yellow lentils. It is lightly spiced; it can be eaten plain with curd or pickle. It is a wholesome meal that has the perfect balance of nutrients. The combination of rice, lentils provides you with carbohydrates, proteins, dietary fiber, Vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. WHOA!
Let me introduce you to Vaghareli Khichdi (here Vaghar is a Gujarati word for tempering in English and tadka in Hindi). A very popular comfort food among people of Gujarat and is also called Gujarati Khichdi.
Let’s get started!
Vaghareli Khichdi Video Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 1/3 Cup Rice & 2Tbsp Pigeon Pea (Tuvar Dal) washed and soaked in water for 15-20 minutes.
- 1Tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 Dry Red Chili
- 1/2Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4Tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1/4Tsp Asafetida
- 2 or 3 Clove & piece of cinnamon stick
- 1/2Tbsp Red chili powder
- 1/4Tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Strain the water from rice and dal mixture.
- Place a pressure cooker on flame and heat oil.
- Now add half dried red chili, and on low flame add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds.
- After the pop from mustard seeds add asafetida, clove and cinnamon. Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder and finally the strained rice and dal mix well.
- Add 3 cups of water stir well and on full flame add salt to taste and let it come to a boil.
(at this stage rice are half cooked)
- Now close the lid and on full flame cook until six whistles.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool.
- Remove the lid and give it a gentle mix.
- Transfer it into a serving bowl.
With a bowl of curd and Vaghareli Khichdi by your side, you need nothing else. Share your thoughts on this recipe let me know how you liked it.
Keep posting suggestion in the comment section below, your feed is valuable.
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.