I generally don’t crave for Mexican and South Indian food together, but when I do, I make Mexican Idli Pakoda! Yasss! My kitchen is no less than a scientist’s lab (HAHA) Well I love experimenting and this led me to try this unique combination of Mexican, South Indian, and North Indian flavors. This dish can be made with leftover idlis and simple and easily available ingredients. One bite into these cheesy delights bursts a thousand flavors on your palate. You should definitely give this dish a try!
Mexican Idli Pakora Recipe Video and Text Recipe Below
- 1 medium size diced Capsicum
- 1 medium size diced Onion
- ¼ Cup chopped Coriander
- ¼ Cup boiled Sweet Corn
- 2 Cheese Cubes
- 100 gm Cottage Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Cooking oil
- Cooked Idli
- Pizza Seasoning (Mixed Herbs-optional)
- Peri Peri Masala
- Salt to taste
Batter - Ingredients
- 1 Cup gram Flour
- 1/3 Rice Flour
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp Asafetida
- ¼ Turmeric Powder
- ¼ Tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
Prep for Stuffing-
- Finely chop capsicum, onion, and boiled sweet corn into a chopper.
- On a flame heat, a shallow non-stick pan and pour oil and after few seconds add the chopped vegetables. On a medium flame sauté the vegetables for about 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate cottage cheese.
- Add salt to taste in sautéed vegetables also add pizza seasoning and peri-peri masala along with grated cottage cheese and mix it well.
- Directly grate cheese cubes into the pan and add chopped coriander and mix well. Cook for a minute until the cheese melts. Stuffing is ready and turn off the flame and let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add gram flour, rice flour, red chili powder, asafetida, garam masala, turmeric powder finally add salt to taste and mix all dry ingredients properly.
- Add water accordingly to ready a medium thick batter.
Stuffing the idlis
- Now cut the readied idli into half from center leaving the bottom adjoined. With help of a spoon spread the stuffing evenly onto a side of idli, and press between the palms so it remains as is while frying. Repeat for the rest idlis.
- In a deep bottom pan, add oil and let it heat.
- Coat the stuffed idli evenly in the batter and with help of a spatula or a spoon place it the oil.
- Once they are golden in color from both side it’s time to remove them on a kitchen towel.
- Ready the stuffed idlis in a similar way!
Once ready serve and much on! Serve with Green Chutney. DO try this unique recipe and let me know your feedback. Drop your comments for any queries.