Medu Vada is bae! Isn’t it! A bite that is crusty outside and fluffy inside, dipped in sambhar tastes splendid! One of the top favorite south Indian quick foods that makes you full instantly wand leaves you asking for more. Well, you may wonder that today’s recipe is for Medu Vada.
But I would say it is a kind of fusion, South Indian food meets the North Indian Street food and the name is of the recipe is Medu Vada Chaat. Sounds yummy, isn’t it? The dish isn’t as elaborate as South Indian medu vada but instead is a quick snack that one can make at any gathering. Today I made it especially to consume during Paryushan. So I didn’t add green chutney, ginger, garlic or coriander but if you are trying this recipe otherwise then add the above ingredients for an added flavor.
Medu Vada Chaat Video Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 1 Cup Urad Dal(Split Black Lentils) & 1/4 Cup Rice (Soaked for 4-5 hours)
- 1/2 teaspoon Aamchur powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asfoetida
- 1/2 tblsp crushed green chili
- Sweet(Dates and Tamarind) Chutney
- Salt to taste
- Black Salt
- Red chili powder
- Cumin powder
- Coriander powder
- In a mixing jar, pour the soaked Urad dal and grind till you get a smooth paste. (Add water to get the right consistency)
- Take the urad dal paste out in a bowl.
- Add asafetida, amchur powder, green chilies, and salt to taste and stir well. (to get the crispy and fluffy texture for the medu vada add a tbsp of hot oil)
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan, and once oil reaches the right temperature, pour in batter in oil with help of your hand or spoon.
- Deep fry the vadas from both sides until golden brown.
- Take the vadas on a kitchen towel lined plate.
- In a small steel bowl, add curd and whisk it to get a smooth texture.
- Place the small steel bowl to warm the curd a little. Just for a minute and switch off the gas.
- Place the vadas in a serving bowl and press them a little to flatten them, pour in the warm curd over it.
- Drizzle Khajur Imli ki chutney (you can add the green chutney as well)
- Sprinkle, red chili powder, roasted cumin seeds powder, coriander powder and black salt.
- Lastly, garnish with sev on top.
At this stage, it will be impossible to wait, so gather your folks and munch on. DO try this simple yet tasty snack in your kitchen. Share your cooking experience and drop in your comments and feedback.