I don’t know a single person who doesn’t like Bhindi. During school days or college or even office, Bhindi sabji in any lunchbox can be a conversation starter. Bhindi always puts a smile on my face though! A simple meal that consists of dal tadka, Bhindi ki sabji chapati and rice make up for a great lunch.
Today’s recipe is Bharwan Bhindi which is a delectable twist to the regular okra recipe. Rinse okra well, and give them a good time to dry well and then proceed with the stuffing.
The stuffing is made of all kinds of interesting kind, that is gives it an authentic taste. It is a great choice for a get-together lunch. Parathas/ Chapati along with raita will be great accompaniments. You can also pack it for lunch for office or school. It is an awesome recipe and kids or adults alike will absolutely relish it!
Since summers are around the corner, rather than pulling same recipe of okra, you can make varieties of dishes from okra and serve; again it is high in protein so you can make it twice or thrice in a week. Making different versions of same vegetable is great way to include in daily diet.
Say NO to lain Bhindi and don your kitchen apron and let’s get started with the recipe.
Bharwan Bhindi Recipe and Text Recipe Below
Bharwan Bhindi Recipe
- 300 gms Okra Ladies fingers
- 3-4 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 tbsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Peanuts Crushed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds Roasted and crushed
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Dry mango powder
- 1 tbsp Gram Flour Roasted
- 2&1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Let’s begin by preparing the stuffing first.
- In a mixing bowl add Dhaniya powder, red chili powder, crushed jeera powder, turmeric, dry mango powder, roasted gram flour, crushed peanuts and 1 tbsp of oil. Now mix these spices well. Sprinkle salt to taste and keep it aside.
- Next, add a spoonful of masala in Bhindi slits. Ensure it sits inside and remove the excess. Once all the okras’ are stuffed, you can use the stuffing in the recipe itself or store it in an airtight container.
- Heat a kadhai and add 3 tbsp oil to it. Once hot add asafetida and then add Bhindi or okra.
- On a low medium flame stir it. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix again and then cover it with a lid and pour water on top of the lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- After 4-5 minutes mix again, and add the rest of the stuffing masala, mix again and cook for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and cover it with lid (without water) just for a minute to let the dish absorb the entire flavor. Serve in a bowl!
Bharwan Bhindi looks exquisite, doesn’t it? Well, I am sure you are drooling over there, so just don your chef hat and run to the kitchen. Do share your experience with the recipe will wait for your feedback. Keep them coming!
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.