Did you know that Tomato Coriander Shorba is a Punjabi version of Tomato Soup. With a dash of fresh coriander leaves it uplifts the whole flavor of the Shorba. It is an absolutely amazing appetizer and helps in digestion. The Shorbas were made popular by princes and Mahrajas in India and it means a soup in very ancient Persian and the origin of Shorba dates back to ancient Persia. The vitamin K and calcium present in tomato soup can help you get healthy bones and high levels of vitamin C in tomato soup provide arterial protection. Interesting isn’t it?
Let’s get started.
Tamatar Dhaniya Shorba Video Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 6 Large chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Dry Red Chili
- 3 Tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chili powder
- 4-5 Whole Black Pepper
- 3 Cloves
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp Gram Flour
- 1/4 Cup chopped Coriander with stems
- 2 Tbsp Finely chopped Coriander
- Salt to Taste
- Place a pan on flame, add oil, once it heats add cumin seeds, lower the flame and add cloves, black pepper, cinnamon stick and finally dry red chili and fry it for half a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and on medium flame keep stirring.
- Add salt to taste and red chili powder. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Once the tomatoes soften, add gram flour and chopped coriander with stems. Mix well and cook it for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour half a cup water and give it a stir.
- Let the water boil on high flame until tomatoes turn soft.
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool down.
- Transfer the pan content to mixing jar , add a little water accordingly and grind it to form a smooth gravy. You will observe tomatoes and red chili seeds in the soup gravy.
- Using a strainer, filter the soup gravy into a pan (flame off).
- Turn on the flame and add water for a medium consistency, Add salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add finely chopped coriander and cook until it boils.
- Take out the Tomato and Coriander Shorba into a soup bowl and serve Hot!
Hope you enjoyed this simple yet interesting recipe. I would love to hear your feedback and do drop in your comments.