Poha is a much-loved Indian breakfast meal that has plenty of alternatives in various parts of the country. Mostly it is eaten the traditional way with peanuts, curry leaves, and tempering of onions and potato, garnished with coriander leaves makes it mouthwatering!
Apart from tasting incredible, it has a lot of health benefits too.
It controls blood sugar as it is rich in fiber. Poha is good probiotic food as it has undergone the process of fermentation and therefore retains the microbial flora from the partially absorbed carbs and proteins, which is healthful for the gut.
Each spoon full has the handsome aroma from curry leaves and asafetida, crunch from vegetables and peanuts, beautiful yellow hue from turmeric.
I am sure you are now yearning for the recipe, let’s get started.
Aloo Poha Video Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 1 ½ Cup Flattened Rice (Poha)
- 1 Medium size Finely chopped Onion
- 1 Medium size Finely chopped and boiled Potato
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafetida
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2-3 Green chili
- 1 tbsp Coriander
- Salt to Taste
- Heat a steel vessel and then add oil to it.
- Once the oil is hot, on low medium flame add peanuts.
- Roast it for 2 minutes.
- Take it out in a plate.
- Now add mustard and jeera seed, wait for it to pop up. Now at this stage add asafetida.
- Next add sesame seed, chopped green chilies, curry leaves, and finely chopped onions.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, boiled potatoes, and mix well.
- Empty the bowl with flattened rice into the tempering, sprinkle red chili powder, salt to taste and cook on low- medium flame.
- Sauté Poha for 1-2 minutes.
- Squeeze in some fresh lemon on top of it along with powdered sugar (optional) and chopped coriander leaves.
- Last but not least, add the roasted peanuts. Voila!
Serve it in plates; I am sure everybody in your family will be famished with the superb aroma. They will be eagerly waiting for you at the dining table. Please share your experience with the recipe in the comment section below. Hope you and your family will enjoy this healthy breakfast recipe.
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.