Be it summer, winters or monsoon don’t we all love fritters (pakodas) of all kind. Yummiest bite-sized snacks that you can’t get enough of. Today I am using an unusual vegetable along with onion to make delicious fritters. Any guesses? Lauki Pyaz ke Pakode.
Summer is the season of bottle gourd and I desired to prepare something uncommon with this regular vegetable. Bottle Gourd along with onions and cottage cheese- what a combination! Now, bottle gourd is a vegetable less loved, but trust me to try this recipe and you will be a fan for life.
Lauki Pyaz ke Pakode Video Recipe and Text Recipe Below
- 1 cup gram flour (Chana Atta)
- 1/3rd cup Rice flour (Chawal ka atta)
- ¼ cup finely chopped Cottage Cheese (Paneer)
- A half of Bottle gourd
- 2 medium size onion, finely sliced
- ½ cup finely chopped coriander
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 2Tbsp cooking oil (needed for frying as well)
- 1 tbsp Red chili powder
- 1 Tsp Chat masala
- 1 Tsp Roasted Cumin powder
- ¼ Tsp Asafetida
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 finely chopped green chilies
- A pinch of Eno
- 1 Tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- In a large mixing bowl add gram flour, rice flour, asafetida, garam masala, chat masala, roasted cumin powder, red chili powder(save the half for later) and finally salt to taste. Mix all the dry ingredients well.
- To this dry mixture now add onion, finely chopped coriander, mint leaves and green chilies.
- With the help of grater, finely grate the bottle gourd (peeled, washed and dried) directly into the mixture. Now add the remaining red chili powder (from 2nd step) & salt to taste. Pour in the oil. Using your hand mix all spices, vegetables & flour well.
- Add the finely cubed cottage cheese and give it a stir again. Add water and mix well without forming any lumps to make a thick batter.
- At this stage I am adding 1 tbsp curd, this is purely optional, you can skip this step. Also, add 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste and give it a nice mix.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan or kadai.
- When oil reaches the smoking point and immediately add a pinch of eno into the batter and quickly release the batter shaping small round in the hot oil. Fry till they turn crisp and brown on medium flame.
- Take out the fritters on a kitchen towel to absorb access oil.
- Serve with tomato sauce, schezwan sauce or green chutney.
I hope these tasty fritters will win your heart and of those to whom you guys serve. I would love to have your feedback. Do drop in your comments.
Siddhi Panchal is a food blogger at CookingwithSiddhi and food aficionado who loves to cook. Her cooking skills cover a range of Indian and international cuisines. Her aim is to enable other food enthusiasts explore their love for food by helping them cook delectable dishes from India and around the world.